Cambodia; Drinking Culture

I hate Cambodian drinking culture, I know hate is a strong word but yes. I hate the way some Cambodian people drink alcohol. 

Okay so hear me out, I am a Cambodian and have been living in Cambodia ever since I was born. 
And I can say I am born into the culture but the drinking culture is very toxic for me.

For some reason every time SOME Cambodian people drink they always act like it's a competition to show how manly they are, how much they can drink and most importantly how fucking drunk they are. 
And the most annoying part of all is PUSHING OTHER PEOPLE TO DRINK as crazy as they are. 
And the stupidest part is when the people don't drink as much as them THEY GET MAD.

Real-life experience down below;
There was this one time at a birthday party of my so called "friend". They force me to drink to a point where they hold me down, push open my mouth and start pouring alcohol into my throat. 

Like bitch what the fuck?


I hate that, I hate that so much. Pushing and peer-pressuring their friend to drink is rude and unethical.
I am not offended but I just find it annoying and not fun. I can say I don't enjoy drinking with some Cambodians.

I like to drink but not in that way. 
From my experiences drinking with my foreign friends. I feel no pressure in drinking at all. We just drink to enjoy because alcohol helps us loosen us up. No competition, just friends hanging out having some beers. 
Legit just chilling and relaxing. And on days where I don't feel like drinking, I can still chill with them.

The reason why I wrote this is to advocate for the idea of STOP PUSHING YOUR FRIEND TO DRINK. If I say I don't want to drink it means I DON'T WANT TO DRINK not peer-pressuring me to drink. 

Like I've mentioned above, some Cambodians are like this but I also have plently of Cambodian friends who respect me and I can still have orange juice chilling with them while they get hella drunk. 
Shout out to friends who respect your decisions and still chill with you.



Comments

  1. You hate drinking culture(Cambodian, What's Culture?) but you enjoy drinking with my foreign friends. My words: HAHA

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Anxiety; insecurity ruin my relationship

Secret Satellite: My open letter to writing out your feeling.